My Next Step
My Next Step is a goal-based residential service focused on transitional living plus career and technical education. Designed for older young men, age 17+, this service provides the opportunity to develop specific technical skill sets driven by industry standards, safe work practices, career and technical literacy, workplace readiness and life skills with the support of Life Skills Coaches, case manager, and knowledgeable, skilled instructors and directors.
The ultimate goal is a successful transition into adulthood with gainful employment and the path to reach career goals and gain economic self-sufficiency.
Students select a career and technical education specialty and receive advanced training through our CTE Trades Academy while residing on the TRS campus. The young man must be motivated to attend and complete the program.
The CTE Trades Academy offers young men the opportunity to become skilled in the following areas:
- Residential Construction
- Forklift Operations
This program would be appropriate for an older male adolescent who has or is nearing completion of high school or equivalent or one completing a residential placement and has no other resource or supports to return to following discharge.
- Residential living on campus in dorm-style cottages as part of the Evergreen Unit. Each with fully furnished bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, and washer/dryer.
- As a goal-based program, an Individualized Service Plan (ISP) will be developed with each young man identifying skill interest, setting goals, and planning for his future
- Life Skills Coach works with each young man to learn transitional life skills, obtain driver’s license, and learn to manage personal finances and plan for future
- Specialized work clothing will be provided (coveralls, steel-toed boots, etc.) as needed
- Work readiness skills to include applying for employment and preparing for interviews
- Case management by Case Manager
- Individual and/or group mental health and substance use counseling provided as necessary by licensed clinician
- Length of stay varies according to the selection of coursework at the CTE Trades Academy and the student’s ability and willingness to complete the program. Normal process is estimated to be between 10 to 12 months.